From: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>
To: foser <foser@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] summary: proposed solutions to arches/stable problem
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 19:33:45
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On Wed, 23 Jun 2004, foser wrote:
5
6 > > >
7 > > I don't think it's just duplication. There have been so many of these, I
8 > > am not sure which one to attach this thought to, so I picked this one
9 > > because it is short. And, if I understand your point, this speaks to it.
10 > >
11 > > I am arch(sparc), so for definiteness, I use sparc as a placeholder for
12 > > any architecture.
13 > >
14 > > 1. In one instance, if I, as sparc, mark something as KEYWORDS=sparc, it
15 > > means essentially one thing: In my best judgment this package is
16 > > stable for use on sparc. It doesn't say anything about other
17 > > architectures (except as evidence of goodness).
18 >
19 > You are not the package maintainer, you should not mark it stable before
20 > that happens. So your arch going stable has no wider significance.
21 >
22 Sure it does, unless the maintainer never makes mistakes. It's more
23 evidence that the package is good (consider the endian problems which
24 come up now and then. If maintainer is little-endian and sparc goes
25 stable, that suggests to other big-endian archs that there is probably
26 not an endian concern. Look at games, sys-cluster, and I think you'll
27 find examples where number of stable architectures matters.)
28
29 > > 2. In a second instance, I am sparc & package maintainer. Now, if I
30 > > mark this package stable on sparc, I might mean one or more of at
31 > > least two possibilities:
32 > > a. I am package maintainer, I believe this package is stable,
33 > > and I happen to be on sparc.
34 > > b. I believe this package is stable on sparc, and I happen to
35 > > be its maintainer.
36 >
37 > What is the difference between a & b, they look the same to me. If you
38 > are the package maintainer and sparc is your arch, then that means that
39 > it is now safe for other arches to move to stable as well (if they do
40 > not have arch specific issues).
43 For 2.b: Consider a LaTeX document class (there are some in portage) --
44 almost certainly architecture-neutral, and maintainer's blessing is
45 almost certainly definitive.
46
47 For 2.a: Consider a multiprocessor performance measurement tool working
48 at a very low level. -- almost certainly architecture-specific, and
49 maintainer's blessing might mean only that it's usable on a specific
50 architecture.
51
52 In case 2.b, if I am interested in the package, I should follow the
53 maintainer. In 2.a, what the maintainer thinks could be completely
54 irrelevant to my arch, ranging from {-sparc, ~sparc, sparc}, and I
55 just thank the maintainer for the package. (Portage has performance
56 measurement tools; I really don't know if any work at this level.)
57
58 > A 'package maintainer' is someone who is responsible for the general
59 > ebuild, not it's arch specific parts. But naturally, the 'package
60 > maintainer' is on some arch and will take care of needs specific for
61 > that arch as well.
64 OK. My example for 2.a is for packages which are almost all
65 architecture-specific, so that the maintainer's view of the world has
66 little relevance to how other people look at it.
69 > - foser
72 - --
73 Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@g.o>
74 Developer, Gentoo Linux (Sparc)