From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: levertond@××××××××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [pre-GLEP] Optional runtime dependencies via runtime-switchable USE flags
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 06:11:43
1 On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 22:32:34 +0100
2 David Leverton <levertond@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Michał Górny wrote:
5 > > No, of course not. Otherwise, every package manager run would
6 > > practically require it to re-validate all packages in the tree
7 > > (possibly not only installed ones).
8 > >
9 > > Package manager must ensure the flags are valid when package is
10 > > in the graph. I would think of IUSE_RUNTIME as a last-step action
11 > > where packages were in the graph for rebuild already but the
12 > > rebuild is disabled as being unnecessary.
13 >
14 > That's what I thought, was just making sure we're on the same page.
15 >
16 > > No, the USE flag list in vdb may be updated every time the package
17 > > gets into the graph with changed runtime flags. I don't consider
18 > > that necessary, however. Just a nice backwards compatibility
19 > > feature for other applications looking at vdb.
20 >
21 > 'K
22 >
23 > > Well, as I see it restricting is more of a policy than a technical
24 > > requirement.
25 >
26 > As long as we're clear on which it is, and what restrictions if any
27 > the PM can/should impose...
28 >
29 > > But in the current form, the spec doesn't allow passing
30 > > IUSE_RUNTIME flags to has_version() so we're on the safe side :P.
31 >
32 > True. Do we want to keep it that restrictive?
33
34 I've added that to the spec but I'm not sure if we're not going too far
35 with this.
36
37 Now I'm seriously seeing downside of this solution and starting
38 thinking about making them auto-enabled when deps are satisfied. It
39 doesn't prove any practical use except for the above case so it may be
40 a better idea to just forbid it completely...
43 Best regards,
44 Michał Górny