From: Burton Samograd <kruhft@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Portage can't find gcc
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 20:32:44
Hi All,

I have a gentoo 1.4 server that I left running for a while (many
months) without a rsync or update for a while due to having some
broken libraries.  I fixed the libs, managed to get an rsync to work
and then did an emerge -u world which seemed to work fine until it
updated gcc (i think, but this seems like the most obvious problem).

I figure it's an environment problem as I was having problems with not
being able to find libstdc++, which was solved by adding the
appropriate directory to LD_LIBRARY_PATH as well.

Now it looks like the environment is out of whack or else portage
ignore environment settings as I went through and manually inserted
the paths in /etc/env.d/gcc/ and can run gcc from the command line,
but whenever I try to emerge I get an error about not being able to
find gcc.

Are the paths or environment specified differently for portage or is
there something else I have to manually update to get this working

burton samograd kruhft@×××××××××××××.org