From: drobbins@g.o
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Install w/out floppy, cd-r?; PPDD w/Gentoo?
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 15:07:03
On Tue, Jan 16, 2001 at 09:24:40PM +0000, gentoolinx wrote:
> > This may be the wrong place for this question, if so please tell me where > to ask it. > > Is there any way to install GRUB (& Gentoo) without a floppy or CD-R ? I > have a Win98 partition, a OpenBSD partition, and a UMSDOS linux w/ Reiser > in the kernel, so I can install from any of those places. > Any help would be appreciated!
Yes, you should be able to download the sys.tbz2 file to your UMSDOS partition, and then extract it directly to the install partition. grub is included in the sys.tbz2 archive, so you should be able to chroot to the Gentoo Linux mount point and set up grub or lilo as needed. We're close to getting 1.0_rc4 out the door (sometime this month). 1.0_rc3 is available, although this release doesn't work on the K6 and has a few other quirks, so it may be best to wait for 1.0_rc4. All you'll need to do is to download a ~67Mb file to your UMSDOS partition.
> Also, are there any plans to use PPDD or any disk encryption w/ Gentoo? > I was going to do what you guys did with Gentoo, but with encryption--a > cross between OpenBSD & Gentoo. I even had a web site at > It's dead at the moment, but I collected some good ideas encryption wise. > Here's the URL, hope you can use it for something: >
We have no immediate plans to add disk encryption to Gentoo Linux, or to do code auditing. However, if we had time we'd be doing things like this, and certainly would love to add a bunch of security features to Gentoo Linux and begin to proactively look for security holes and close them up. Best Regards, -- Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o> President/CEO Gentoo Technologies, Inc.