From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Do (old-ish) Portage QA checks comprise policy?
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2019 21:51:30
1 On Mon, Nov 04, 2019 at 02:05:19PM -0600, Michael Jones wrote:
2 > On Mon, Nov 4, 2019 at 1:26 PM William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 > > That way is not building static libraries at all. If we go that way as
5 > > a distro the support for forcing static libraries into /usr/lib* is not
6 > > needed because we would just not allow static libraries.
9 > As an end user, I would be unhappy if static libraries were no longer
10 > supported at all. I use them regularly for my development work.
11
12 OpenRC as an example has never supported being built statically along
13 with pam which is turned on in Gentoo, so it would be safe for openrc to
14 not build them.
15
16 Let's move the discussion of static libs to a separate thread however
17 and continue it there.
18
19 William