From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Making backwards-incompatible tree changes | a solution for GLEP 55's problem
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 15:29:35
On 09/20/2011 08:19 AM, Zac Medico wrote:
> On 09/19/2011 03:14 PM, Alex Alexander wrote: >> My idea is simple. When incompatible changes have to be introduced to the >> tree, push a new version of portage that includes support for all the new >> features we want to provide. >> >> Then, freeze the tree and clone it into a revbumped rsync module, i.e. >> >> SYNC="rsync://rsync.europe.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage-r1" > > It's a waste to provide the old copies via rsync. A similar alternative > that would solve that is to have a file in the tree that maps older > EAPIs to snapshots. That way, after a person syncs and finds that the > tree's EAPI is not supported, their package manager can easily locate > and download a tree snapshot (from any gentoo mirror) which is supported > by the current package manager.
Also, note that these snapshots really only need to contain the subset of the tree that is needed to build a stage three with your current package manager. You don't necessarily have to prune down the snapshot, but at least you want to ensure that the essential stage three disfiles remain mirrored so that the snapshots remain useful. -- Thanks, Zac