From: Jon Portnoy <avenj@g.o>
To: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@××××××××.cx>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] No XFree86 w/ new license
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 18:44:53
1 On Fri, Feb 27, 2004 at 12:33:05PM -0600, Jay Maynard wrote:
2 > On Fri, Feb 27, 2004 at 01:17:20PM -0500, Jon Portnoy wrote:
3 > > On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 07:48:04AM -0600, Jay Maynard wrote:
4 > > > Stallman's claiming credit for all of Linux, anywhere it appears,
5 > > Only when trolls intentionally misinterpret his statements that way.
6 >
7 > Why else does he insist that the name of his project be attached to it
8 > whenever and wherever it's mentioned and refuse to have any dealings at all
9 > with anyone who does not?
12 What do you need to have a working system? Linux and the base pieces of
13 GNU. Hence he feels that GNU/Linux is appropriate. If you feel
14 differently, don't say it -- that's straightforward enough.
15 My position is that when I'm talking about the program (a kernel) called
16 'Linux' I say 'Linux,' when I'm talking about things GNU has produced, I
17 say 'GNU,' and when I'm talking about the combination of the two, I say
18 'GNU+Linux.' That seems to be correct in a technical sense. However,
19 that's just how _I_ refer to it. I honestly don't give a damn how _you_
20 refer to it as long as you do two things:
21 (a) don't care what I choose to say
22 (b) don't bring up irrelevancies whenever you spot a chance to tell
23 everyone how much you dislike RMS
24
25 For the record, nowhere did he ever claim credit for Linux. Linux is a
26 single program that he had nothing to do with.
27
28 > > Could you please take trolling to comp.os.linux.advocacy or
29 > > gnu.misc.discuss or some other forum where nobody has anything better to
30 > > do than troll and be trolled? Thanks.
31 >
32 > I'm not trolling. These are my honest beliefs, honestly arrived at, and I
33 > believe that Stallmanite misstatements of fact should not be allowed to go
34 > unchallenged.
35
36 "Beliefs are fine, just don't share them like they're the truth."
39 > ...or are you one of those who assumes that anyone who doesn't toe the
40 > Stallmanite line must automatically be trolling?
41
42 No, but when somebody takes any opportunity available to take potshots
43 at their personal stress relief ball, it certainly comes off as
44 trolling.
47 > ...or is the Gentoo project another bastion of Stallmanism, like the Debian
48 > Project?
49
50 WTF? Over.
53 Jon Portnoy