From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GTK und GTK2 Use Flag
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 22:29:37
1 On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 11:35:50PM +0200, foser wrote:
2 > On Tue, 2005-03-29 at 19:20 +0200, Markus Nigbur wrote:
3 > <snip much gtk2 use flag blah and old ideas>
4 >
5 > The gtk2 flag is meant to be removed in time, not to be promoted even
6 > more -than it was ever meant to be- as it is.
7 >
8 > Do it right this time this time, don't try to redo it in as much a
9 > crappy way as it is now. The proposals here are as much time-context
10 > dependant as the current solution is.
11 *cough* quicky question then...
12
13 What are you going to do when gtk v3 hits? Deprecate gtk v2? Expect
14 upstream to quickly migrate all projects/code to v3? Cause projects
15 sure moved off of v1 in a hurry :P
16
17 Continuing, when v3 hits, abuse this same interdependent use flag
18 trickery interdependent, or move to sane versioned use flags?
19 Personally at this rate I'm expecting xmms to be gtk1 dependant for as
20 long as gtk-1* compiles, probably right up through when gtk v3 some
21 day hits :)
22
23 If you use the approach I've laid out (yes, not new, I laid it out in
24 24439) you wouldn't have to dick around with deprecating a version,
25 nor essentially mandating what version is default. You'd leave the
26 total control over what versions the user wants to deal with in the
27 hands of the _users_, and what versions the package supports would
28 be represented properly/clearly in the IUSE.
29
30 So far... I've not really heard a good reason aside from "it's in
31 place, we'll just deprecate gtk v1 instead of clean it up" for why
32 this cannot be corrected _now_, or really in the past.
33
34 hell, you even have volunteers. :)
35 ~brian