From: Christian Loitsch <gentoo-dev@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] freeze machince for minutes
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 06:21:21
1 I can reproduce a freeze of my machine, which takes at least a minute.
2
3 Preempt is activated.
4 What I do is:
5 emerge mozilla (root)
6 play with lynx (normal user) on another console.
7
8 I don't think lynx has something to do with it, but it happened twice
9 with this "configuration".
10
11 Because I don't have enough space on my disk, I exportet the
12 PORTAGE_TMP to another machine (over samba).
13 But as I did not have the rights to become root, I created a file-image
14 on the other machine, and mounted this image as loop device:
15
16 # mount
17 [snip]
18 //matrix.netsoc.tcd.ie/loitschc on /mnt/matrix type smbfs (0)
19 /mnt/matrix/tmp-gentoo/fs.img on /mnt/loop-matrix type ext2 (rw,loop=/dev/loop0)
20
21 My machine is also _very_ slow: MMX 133. (it takes ~10h to compile
22 Mozilla)
23
24 I have no idea if the machine freezes or just stays with the emerge.
25 Anyway it responds to ^-Alt-Del.
26 But also come back the second time, when I waited a little bit longer.
27
28 So my question, should I report this somewhere?
29
30 christian