From: Jason Cooper <gentoo@××××××××××.net>
To: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposal: Social Contract change & What is "Gentoo" ?
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 16:23:52
1 Sven Vermeulen (swift@g.o) scribbled:
2 > When you take a look at our current social contract
3 > (http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/contract.xml) you will read that it talks
4 > about "Gentoo Linux" exclusively. However, with Gentoo growing and non-Linux
5 > ports in the make, it might be wise to change the naming from "Gentoo Linux"
6 > to "Gentoo".
7 >
8 > The main question however is: "What is Gentoo"? When will we talk about
9 > "Gentoo" and when do we talk about "a project" that "the Gentoo Project" is
10 > working on?
11 >
12 > Based on the feedback I gathered from the managers meeting and from
13 > developers, I'd like to propose something along the following lines:
14 >
15 > """
16 > We call a collection of software "Gentoo" when:
17 > - it in total is able to boot itself (self-hosting)
18 > - it is actively developed by the Gentoo Project
19 > - its main software management application is a native Portage
20
21 What about an embedded system whose image was created using embedded
22 gentoo tools, but contains no package management? Or a minimal package
23 management system (ipkg/apkg)? Would that fall under "Embedded Gentoo"
24 or "Gentoo" or some customized thing?
28 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list