From: Patrick Lauer <gentoo@×××××××××××××.de>
To: Brian Dwornick <bdwor@×××××××.net>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Installer For Gentoo
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 22:08:52
1 On Wed, 2004-01-14 at 22:09, Brian Dwornick wrote:
2 > There are two very different reasons that I can see for making an installer.
3 > One is to make it easier to install gentoo for people that are not
4 > comfortable with linux. This in my opinion would be a bad move as gentoo
5 > isn't aimed to be the first linux distribution someone uses.
6 I disagree. Teaching people something because it might be easier in the
7 beginning is not always the best strategy.
8 <flame>
9 Just look at all the people that need a mouse and a pretty icon to click
10 at. How did they work with text-based editors a few years ago?
11 Why can't the secretary that used DOS 3.3 to copy files use the Dos-box
12 in Windows?
13 </flame>
14 I've observed that those people that are interested in learning (as
15 opposed to those that want to get their work done) can benefit a lot
16 from gentoo, and the others don't care (if there is a problem, _you_
17 better fix it), so you can't loose (I hope)
18
19 So, from my point of view, Gentoo is good since it teaches those that
20 want to learn and makes life easier for me if I have to "repair" a
21 broken system.
22
23 > The seconds
24 > reason would be to make it easier to install in a corporate enviroment
25 > (server farms, multiple offices, etc.) With this in mind, I believe an
26 > "installer" should be implemented as a text based script, not a pretty GUI.
27 I'm more for a config-file driven thingy with different frontends (nice
28 GUI with text fallback or something like that), but someone has to
29 implement it ...
30
31 > It should read a config file made by whoever is doing the install that has
32 > many default configs in it and maybe prompt for the uses of the machine.
33 > IE:
34 If you could save / restore a config file you could easily clone a setup
35 onto different hardware, and if you had automatic processor detection you
36 could clone the setup _and_ optimise at the same time! :-)
37
38 > The following configs have been detected please choose one:
39 > [0] Prompt for config
40 > [1] Desktop (KDE)
41 > [2] Laptop (KDE)
42 > [3] Email/Web/DNS Server (No X)
43 > [4] Rendering Farm
44 > ? 2
45 Yes, that should be nice. Maybe a two- or three-layer menu, but
46 nothing as horrible as dselect, please.
47
48 > What stage would you like to start from?
49 > [1]
50 > [2]
51 > [3]
52 > ...
53 > At this point the installer could make choices that would produce the
54 > optimal system but without the system admin having to sit and type the same
55 > things over and over. The make.conf could be generated by using /proc and
56 > the settings from the loaded config.
57 You expect a lot of magic. I tend to dislike automatic detection of hardware
58 since it can never work on all available systems. But if it worked very
59 well (99,999% ;-) ) it'd be really nice to have.
60 Still, I'd like to have full manual control, e.g. disable automagic
61 detection, force-load this module, ...
62
63 > Basically, distributions like Redhat make many decisions for you. I would
64 > hate to see an installer that took choices from the users hands, as, gentoo
65 > seems to be about choice.
66 I agree.
67
68 > My two cents,