From: Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o>
To: Gentoo Development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: "Manuel Rüger" <mrueg@g.o>, "Johan Bergström" <bugs@××××××××××.nu>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New USE_EXPAND NGINX_MODULES_STREAM
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2016 12:01:58
1 On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 11:27 AM, Jason Zaman <perfinion@g.o> wrote:
2 > Which looks easier and nicer to you?
3 >
4 > NGINX_MODULES_HTTP="access auth_basic autoindex browser charset
5 > fancyindex fastcgi geo gzip limit_req limit_zone map memcached proxy
6 > realip referer rewrite scgi spdy split_clients ssi upstream_check
7 > upstream_ip_hash userid uwsgi"
8 >
9 > or:
10 >
11 > www-servers/nginx nginx_modules_http_access nginx_modules_http_auth_basic nginx_modules_http_autoindex nginx_modules_http_browser nginx_modules_http_charset nginx_modules_http_fancyindex nginx_modules_http_fastcgi nginx_modules_http_geo nginx_modules_http_gzip nginx_modules_http_limit_req nginx_modules_http_limit_zone nginx_modules_http_map nginx_modules_http_memcached nginx_modules_http_proxy nginx_modules_http_realip nginx_modules_http_referer nginx_modules_http_rewrite nginx_modules_http_scgi nginx_modules_http_spdy nginx_modules_http_split_clients nginx_modules_http_ssi nginx_modules_http_upstream_check nginx_modules_http_upstream_ip_hash nginx_modules_http_userid nginx_modules_http_uwsgi
12
13 Well, it seems like we could easily skip the _modules_http suffix, and
14 the difference would not nearly be so large.
15
16 The problem I have with it is that, as a user, it's yet another
17 concept to grasp and configure. Instead of just working with USE flags
18 (e.g. looking at use.desc or using ufed to review, configuring USE
19 flags in make.conf or package.use), I now have to find/learn a bunch
20 of new stuff. What packages use what USE_EXPAND things (e.g. apache
21 has two), what are valid values for all of these.
22
23 Where with simple USE flags, there is a single mechanism that I have
24 to learn and can apply across the board; with USE_EXPAND stuff, I have
25 to learn new stuff for each new package that adopts one or more
26 USE_EXPAND things.
27
28 So if this cosmetic expansion is the only advantage, that seems like a
29 relatively limited one (e.g. it could be improved a lot just by
30 formatting), and the trade-off of introducing all this extra
31 complexity doesn't make that much sense to me.
32
33 Cheers,
34
35 Dirkjan