From: Eray Aslan <eras@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Don't use UIDs and GIDs below 100 without QA approval
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 14:17:37
1 On Sun, Nov 28, 2021 at 11:06:36AM +0100, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > > On Mon, Nov 15, 2021 at 09:36:32AM +0300, Eray Aslan wrote:
3 > >> 1/ Static allocation does not really solve a problem. Not really not
4 > >> nowadays
5 > >> 2/ We cant keep adding new IDs to a distribution as new software gets
6 > >> added - one side is unbounded. This is losing game.
7 >
8 > Not sure. In practice, the number of packages is limited. (And if the
9 > argument was valid, it would apply to dynamic alloction too.)
10
11 In the static allocation option, the rate of increase is the rate of new
12 ID-needing software ported to the tree minus - optimistically - the rate
13 of treecleaning similar software. Optimistic because I am not sure how
14 much, or at what point, do we want to re-use treecleaned IDs.
15
16 In the dynamic case, we dont care about the global status and are really
17 bound by the max number of sysem IDs installed in a single system.
18 Local maximum is rather stable and in any case is a lot smaller than
19 global maximum. Plus in this age of containers and namespaces, this
20 isnt really a problem even if it did grow over time, i.e. even if
21 unbounded, we have tools to manage it.
24 Eray