From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, gentoo-dev-announce@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Last rites: dev-python/backports, dev-python/namespace-*
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2020 12:41:21
1 On Thu, 2020-12-03 at 18:30 +0100, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > # Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> (2020-12-03)
3 > # Explicit namespace support was necessary for Python 2 only. Empty
4 > # directories work best for Python 3.
5 > # Removal in 14 days.
6 > dev-python/backports
7 > dev-python/namespace-google
8 > dev-python/namespace-jaraco
9 > dev-python/namespace-paste
10 > dev-python/namespace-repoze
11 > dev-python/namespace-sphinxcontrib
12 > dev-python/namespace-zope
15 I was wrong here, and there are corner cases (particularly related to
16 running tests) with setuptools-style namespaces that makes this
17 infeasible. I've unmasked all but backports and jaraco -- these two use
18 pkgutil-style namespaces and are not affected.
19
20 Long story short, if setup.py enables some namespace-related magic
21 in setuptools, Python can no longer find other packages using implicit
22 namespace -- only these using explicit pkg_resources namespace.
25 Best regards,
26 Michał Górny