From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: gregkh@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Vanilla sources stabilization policy change
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2013 09:41:16
1 On Wed, 24 Jul 2013 16:09:11 -0700
2 Greg KH <gregkh@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Please
5 > tell me exactly how you are going to evaluate which fixes I make are
6 > security fixes, and you know which to pick and choose from.
7
8 Some kind of annotation with tags would make this kind of thing easy;
9 I'm not saying it is your task to apply such annotations to commits, but
10 it would rather be the task of the person who makes an individual patch.
11
12 This would benefit multiple people; it would benefit users to know the
13 amount of patches that are security and code fixes, new features and
14 see them separately. It would also benefit distributions and system
15 admins to filter them out, they could for instance drop new feature
16 patches so they just get the fixes they need.
17
18 It puts the power in the user's hands; allowing them to evaluate, pick
19 and choose according to their own demands and needs.
20
21 Implementation wise, I don't think this is any harder than the already
22 existing annotations; work wise, adding a tag is easy to do.
23
24 Maybe I should write up something more technical and throw it at the
25 upstream kernel ML for people to consider. Is there someone whom I need
26 to CC in specific if I do that?
29 With kind regards,
30
31 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
32 Gentoo Developer
33
34 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
35 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
36 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D