From: Mark Bateman <couldbe@××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Stabilization of Python 3.1
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 22:53:19
1 AllenJB <gentoo-lists <at> allenjb.me.uk> writes:
4 > As a user who has spent a lot of time on IRC and the forums supporting
5 > other users, I think I can safely say that stabilizing a version of
6 > python which is not supported by portage will end up in a nightmare
7 > scenario. At the very least portage, python-updater and eselect, if not
8 > the majority of the commonly used tools (whichever of gentoolkit,
9 > portage-utils, eix, etc use python), should support python 3.1 before it
10 > goes stable.
11
12 1) All those tools (eselect, python-wrapper, python-updater) are written in
13 other languages specifically to ensure a means to update python
14
15 2) There has existed for a very long time patches to portage to make it
16 compatible with python3.x
19 Stabilizing Python3.x isn't really an issue as long as some means to ensure
20 people do not emerge -c a python2.x version (eg adding it to the system profile)