From: Joshua Saddler <nightmorph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Moving our/portage stuff to var
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 07:17:07
1 On Mon, 17 Dec 2012 11:19:20 +0100
2 Tomáš Chvátal <tomas.chvatal@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Currently we put portage into /usr/portage and all related stuff is to
5 > be in the subfolders there (distfiles, binpkg).
6 >
7 > I've always myself override these defaults in make.conf to point for
8 > /var/portage/ (not /var/lib because I never bothered enough how to
9 > make world and config files to be put elsewhere :P).
10 >
11 > The only reason why we have this currently in usr is that bsd ports
12 > put their stuff in there and I suppose Daniel just did the same.
13 >
14 > With respect to reality how stuff is done in the linux land all the
15 > variable data should be in /var so we should adjust and move it in
16 > there too.
17 >
18 > What would you think?
19
20 do it. stick it somewhere in /var. i have a small SLC SSD just for /var and /usr/portage partitions, since those consistently incur high writes. dropping to just one partition for all that i/o would be real nice.
21
22 if this proposed change is made, please make sure to contact the GDP. while we don't update things like manpages or elog announcements, we would have a ton of stuff to fix in gentoo.org/doc/en/ . also, make sure stuff is sorted out on the catalyst/releng end well in advance, so users aren't stuck with bad stages.