From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] CFLAGS paragraph for the GWN
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2006 00:45:16
1 On Sat, Sep 30, 2006 at 04:37:05PM -0600, Ryan Hill wrote:
2 > I thought he wanted flags that broke upgrading between GCC 3.4 and 4.1.
3 > tree-loop-linear wasn't in 3.4. If you want flags that just break
4 > stuff with 4.1 you can include -ftree-vectorize.
5 Thanks.
6
7 > > The objective here was mainly to point out some things that users are
8 > > doing that are causing breakages, leading to bugs that are ultimately
9 > > marked INVALID after much tracing.
10 > Like using CFLAGS not on the Safe CFLAGS page? ;)
11 Not really.
12 One needs to use some common sense as a developer in evaluating user
13 CFLAGS - because there are plenty of flags that are safe, but aren't
14 listed on that page.
15
16 Several years ago, I wrote a package that was the forerunner of the
17 'Safe CFLAGS' page - genflags. It was close to unmaintable at the time
18 however, so it's suffered a lot of bit-rot. With the advent of
19 libcpuinfo, and x86info being written, it stands a much better chance of
20 giving useful output, but that still does not supersede the common sense
21 statement above.
24 Robin Hugh Johnson
25 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
26 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85