From: Jason Zaman <perfinion@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [rfc] enable USE=xattr by default
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 04:41:30
1 On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 11:48:07PM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > USE=xattr is needed nowadays to support:
3 > - filesystem caps (those things that let you drop set*id and generally
4 > improves system security w/little to no runtime overhead)
5 > - PaX file markings (replaces binutils ELF markings)
6 > - selinux
7 >
8 > we actually have USE=filecaps on by default already, and catalyst
9 > hard requires tar[xattr] in order to work. the hardened profile
10 > also package.use.force's this flag on for some core packages.
11 >
12 > not too many packages actually utilize this flag, and when they do,
13 > it's to pull in the attr package which clocks in at <200 KiB. the
14 > runtime overhead tends to be low to non-existent as xattrs tend to
15 > be used only when requested.
16 >
17 > when support is not available in the FS or kernel, packages should
18 > generally fall back gracefully.
19 >
20 > anyone opposed to flipping this flag on by default ?
21 >
22 > reference:
23 > https://bugs.gentoo.org/506198
24 > https://bugs.gentoo.org/556408
25 > -mike
26
27 As part of the hardened and SELinux teams, definitely +1 from me.
28
29 -- Jason