From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Developer branches on proj/gentoo
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 15:21:36
1 On Tue, 11 Aug 2015 11:11:43 -0400
2 Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o> wrote:
3
5 > Hash: SHA256
6 >
7 > On 11/08/15 10:01 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
8 > > Dnia 2015-08-11, o godz. 15:52:16 Patrice Clement
9 > > <monsieurp@g.o> napisał(a):
10 > >
11 > >> Hi there
12 > >>
13 > >> According to
14 > >> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Gentoo_git_workflow#Branching_Model,
15 > >>
16 > >>
17 > "there may be developer-specific, task-specific, project-specific
18 > branch es
19 > >> etc". As far as I understand, it means I can go and create my own
20 > >> branch on the main repository and push it and it gets spread all
21 > >> over the place. Is that correct?
22 > >>
23 > >> Could someone explain to me the rationale behind this decision?
24 > >>
25 > >> Truth to be told, I kinda dislike the fact any developer can do
26 > >> this.
27 > >
28 > > As long as it's used with caution, I don't see a problem. Of course
29 > > it would be bad if everyone pushed branches for any minor change.
30 > > However, if there is a long-term work going on a branch, I don't
31 > > see a problem with keeping it public.
34 > Examples in particular I can think of for something like this being
35 > useful would be for, say, major EAPI-bump-related feature
36 > implementations (ie, EAPI5 and slot-operators/subslots), or major
37 > across-tree impementation changes like what we saw with the
38 > multilib-eclass porting.
39 >
40 > These are large projects touching most if not all ebuilds, that a
41 > great many developers would or should be involved in. Something like
42 > this could be done in a separately hosted repo instead of in the main
43 > gentoo repo, but then all developers would need to subscribe to this
44 > other repo, while having it in a branch in the main one i think would
45 > make it easier for everyone to get involved once they're ready, and
46 > would still allow the changes to stay out of the master branch until
47 > the project is ready to launch.
50 For me, this is actually a reason to prohibit it :)
51
52 EAPI bumps should be done package by package, not at a major scale:
53 otherwise, let's just scrap EAPI entirely and update the API as we see
54 fit with p.masked package managers :)
55
56 multilib eclasses conversions should also be done one by one to be done
57 properly (otherwise using multilib-portage is probably a better idea)
58 and each conversion touches one package (two if you count emul-*).
59
60 Big changes that that go in feature branches and are merged in one pass
61 are, from my experience, way too much prone to errors. Did anyone ever
62 try to review a merge commit?