From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] making rust-bin ordered first in virtual/rust
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 16:09:21
1 On Mon, Jan 17, 2022 at 3:24 PM Georgy Yakovlev <gyakovlev@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > I've been approached multiple times with that request, and a lot of
6 > time I see new users completely destroyed by rust build time and disk
7 > space requirements.
8
9 What does this actually mean? Can we more clearly document the negatives?
10
11 Is it that Rust takes a long time to build? This seems like just a
12 consequence of a sourced based distribution. Many things take a long
13 time to build. I suspect rust is not the only package and again we are
14 back to staffing binhost like projects for much of the tree so that
15 this particular complaint can be mitigated, not just for rust, but for
16 any package.
17
18 Is it that Rust build fails because users lack the resources to build
19 it? We should be using check-reqs here to detect this pre-build and
20 give the user choices (like telling them rust can't be compiled from
21 source on their machine and to use rust-bin.)
22
23 I tend to empathize more with Peter Böhm later in the thread, in that
24 Gentoo is sourced based and I'd expect portage to be installing things
25 from source by default. Building from source is resource intensive and
26 expensive, yes. I think if you want a binary-based distro you are
27 using the wrong distro at the moment.
28
29 -A
32 > WDYT about switching order of rusts in a virtual?
33 >
34 > RDEPEND="|| (
35 > ~dev-lang/rust-${PV}
36 > ~dev-lang/rust-bin-${PV}
37 > )"
40 > becomes
41 >
42 > RDEPEND="|| (
43 > ~dev-lang/rust-bin-${PV}
44 > ~dev-lang/rust-${PV}
45 > )"
48 > Existing installs should be unaffected ofc.
49 > But portage may prefer to depclean rust and not rust-bin if both are
50 > present.
51 > Users who wish to use source version at all times can just add it to
52 > world file.
53 >
54 > I see both positives and negatives of doing that, but would like to
55 > reach out to community first.
56 >
57 > Thanks!
58 >