From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] repo/gentoo:master commit in: eclass/
Date: Sat, 14 May 2016 11:55:14
1 On 14/05/16 12:35, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Sat, 14 May 2016 11:55:42 +0200
3 >> Am Freitag, 13. Mai 2016, 10:52:09 schrieb Ian Delaney:
4 >>> On Sat, 7 May 2016 23:25:58 +0200
5 >>>> Do you seriously expect this code to work? How about testing? Or
6 >>>> reading diffs before committing?
7 >>> Do you seriously expect us to sit and absorb this form of pious
8 >>> put down? From one who knows far better who is entitled to speak
9 >>> down to colleagues as is completely lacking a cerebral cortex?
10 >>> Those times are drawing to an end. Did anyone ever teach you to
11 >>> treat folk in such manner and expect them to respect it? I don't
12 >>> think so Not over my dead cvs perhaps
13 >> Well, we still do need some commit quality, you know...
14 > Why? Gentoo is about the community. Requiring a basic standard of commit
15 > quality a) reduces the number of community members who are able to
16 > contribute, 2) leads to fewer forums posts discussing how to fix
17 > problems, iii) hurts Gentoo's DistroWatch statistics by reducing the
18 > volume of commits, and fourthly, discriminates unfairly against
19 > competency-challenged developers by imposing subjective interpretations
20 > of the value of source code from a position of unearned authority. This
21 > is against the code of conduct, and is bad for the community!
22 >
23 In defense of Gentoo at large .. the entry-level to contribute is really
24 quite low .. and all the documentation for gentoo 'standards' is widely
25 documented in both the Devmanual (under revision currently) and the
26 Package Manager Spec. Not only this, but there are active projects
27 within gentoo to welcome, nurture and develop devs and contributors
28 alike so that there is a sustainable level of man-power available to
29 keep up with the demands of users and pace of code development. Ok, it
30 can be off-putting to those looking in from the outside, but really I
31 think it benefits more than it costs.
32
33 I agree broadly with the ethos of the QA team, gentoo tends to focus on
34 quality over quantity where commits are concerned. It's better to retain
35 a stable, reliable set of packages, with additional untested/unstable
36 packages available via overlays, rather than a massive, unwieldy number
37 of packages in a broadly unknown state. As it is, there is a deficit of
38 active people maintaining the less-widely used packages, and also people
39 able to add new packages to the tree, and this means that resources are
40 inevitably spread more thinly.
41
42 As always there will be a balance, but this thread did start out with
43 some tit-for-tat between devs, totally unnecessary either in private or
44 public. So, ditch that bike-shed, and get on with fixing bugs, closing
45 issues, adding, updating and deprecating packages, folks :]. Thank you.