From: "Vadim A. Misbakh-Soloviov" <mva@×××.name>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] www-client/chromium gtk3 support
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2015 12:50:23
1 > You should really either reconsider your understanding of opensource or
2 > start to pay me.
3
4 we're talking not about you and your opensource work. We're talking about your
5 consideration to force allmaintanersto drop gtk2 *even if they want to
6 maintain it*. And I disagree with exactly that. Or, do you argue that forcing
7 by lack of manpower in QA team?
8
9 And one more thing: opensource is "you're free to do the thing or to not to
10 do". But not the "you're not free to do that" (i.e. "you're forced to not add
11 gtk2 in the ebuilds, despite of upstream supported it and you want to add it")
12
13 > Gentoo is for the most part GPL-2 and you can fork, change and
14 > redistribute it any way you want. We are not dictating anything.
15
16 Yes it is (and let's omit the facts, that it is some forks already). But we
17 are talking about bueraucratic enforcement of people (maintainers and users),
18 but not about forking policy.
19
20 > Given the fact that we are short on manpower and that most part of the
21 > linux ecosystem is moving towards gtk3... there has been no good
22 > argument to support a toolkit version - that is (about to be) deprecated
23 > - for exotic corner use cases that people tried to come up with in the
24 > heat of the argument.
25
26 It is great one: it is not *yet* deprecated. It is okay to drop it from the
27 tree when it will be deopped by upstream. But dropping something by downstream
28 will (at least, without official explaination "because of lack of manpower")
29 is something strange and tyranny.
30
31 And I'm pretty sure, if you'll post such notice, there will definitely be
32 people, that would be happy to assist in that situation.
33
34 > Gtk3 is not gnome3. Gtk3 is not systemd. Can we please be realistic now?
35
36 Gtk3-related politic, that we discussing here looks very simiar to gnome3
37 upstream politic.
40 P.S. Don't count this as mockery, but, following that logic, maybe we should
41 also drop python2, because of deprecation in favour of python3? :) It will
42 definitelly help to decrease manpower on maintainership.
45 Best regards,
46 mva