From: Ionen Wolkens <ionen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] <non-maintainer-commits-welcome/> proposal
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2022 02:53:50
1 On Mon, Jul 04, 2022 at 10:49:25PM -0400, Ionen Wolkens wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jul 04, 2022 at 04:19:12PM +0200, Florian Schmaus wrote:
3 > > I'd like to propose a new metadata XML element for packages:
4 > >
5 > > <non-maintainer-commits-welcome/>
6 > >
7 > > Maintainers can signal to other developers (and of course contributors
8 > > in general) that they are happy with others to make changes to the
9 > > ebuilds without prior consultation of the maintainer.
10 > >
11 > > Of course, this is not a free ticket to always make changes to packages
12 > > that you do not maintain without prior consultation of the maintainer. I
13 > > would expect people to use their common sense to decide if a change may
14 > > require maintainer attention or not. In general, it is always a good
15 > > idea to communicate changes in every case.
16 > >
17 > > The absence of the flag does not automatically allow the conclusion that
18 > > the maintainer is opposed to non-maintainer commits. It just means that
19 > > the maintainer's stance is not known. I do not believe that we need a
20 > > <non-maintainer-commits-disallowed/> flag, but if the need arises, we
21 > > could always consider adding one. Although, in my experience, people
22 > > mostly like to communicate the "non-maintainer commits welcome" policy
23 > > with others.
24 > >
25 > > WDYT?
26 >
27 > Personally I think something per-maintainer rather than per package
28 > would be simpler, and allow to say more as needed.
29
30 ... and that could also extend to projects so can clarify policy in
31 a single place that's easy to find.
32
33 Like base-system@ probably do not want random uninformed commits,
34 but games@, sound@, and such?
37 > Think like devaway instructions, but something more permanent and
38 > not for being away, e.g.
39 > "feel free to touch my packages except this big important one, and
40 > or do or do not do this to them"
43 > > - Flow
46 > --
47 > ionen