From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: calling all eclass phase functions by default
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 13:27:44
1 On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 8:21 AM, Sergey Popov <pinkbyte@g.o> wrote:
2 > 18.08.2014 14:44, Rich Freeman пишет:
3 >> On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 4:54 AM, Sergey Popov <pinkbyte@g.o> wrote:
4 >>> 17.08.2014 01:54, William Hubbs пишет:
5 >>>>
6 >>>> # Foo and bar both have src_unpack and src_install functions.
7 >>>> # we want foo's src_unpack and bar's src_install:
8 >>>>
9 >>>> ECLASS_PHASES="foo_src_unpack
10 >>>> bar_src_install"
11 >>>
12 >>> You have my strong opposition on such change as well. It will turn
13 >>> ebuilds into unreadable and undpredictable mess, please do not do that
14 >>>
15 >>
16 >> I'm not sure I follow your complaint. He is talking about adding one
17 >> line to an ebuild. I'm not sure how that is unreadable, and the
18 >> algorithm you quoted looks fairly predictable to me as well.
19 >>
20 >> Certainly it is less convenient than not having to do anything to pull
21 >> in eclass-defined phase functions, and it requires ebuilds to be
22 >> updated when eclasses are updated to add new phase functions. That
23 >> could be problematic for cases like KDE/X11/etc where you have a large
24 >> collection of short ebuilds with all the logic in an eclass.
25 >>
26 >> I just want to make sure I'm understanding your concern in case there
27 >> is a new issue being raised.
28 >
29 > What's bad with overriding needed functions and saying which exported
30 > functions(from eclasses) to execute and in which order?
31 >
32 > Is this approach flaw? In which ways?
33
34 Ok, I was misunderstanding your original comment. You're advocating
35 just having ebuilds explicitly call phase functions from eclasses
36 then, and not automatically inheriting them? Your objection was to
37 the ECLASS_PHASES concept, and not to the principle of eliminating
38 automatic inheritance of phase functions?
39
40 Please let me know if I'm still misunderstanding you. There are a lot
41 of potential ways to go with this so it isn't always clear what part
42 of a proposal is being objected to.
43
44 Rich