From: "Paweł Hajdan
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] minimalistic emerge
Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2014 09:34:58
1 On 8/8/14, 6:27 PM, Igor wrote:
2 >> Is there any warranty that updated with -uDN system will remain
3 >> full functional for 1 year? I have 100% warranty that not updated
4 >> system is going to remain functional for 5 or 6 years. I have some with
5 >> 7 years uptime.
6
7 I'd say there is no "warranty". However, a staging environment can help
8 detecting issues earlier, before deploying them to production and
9 allowing you to come up with a way to address them.
10
11 I certainly wouldn't recommend just running an update on a running
12 production server without testing it first.
13
14 >> I'm in a trap - if I update daily - the systems are offline, I'm not able
15 >> to maintain systems after updates - requires too much resources. If you have
16 >> 1 gentoo it might take a few days, imagine you have 100 or 1000 systems and
17 >> they do not share the same hardware or the same boot locations,
18 >> they all can be managed by 2 people if not updated and you need about 100
19 >> people if you update.
20
21 Consider automating the processes - as you pointed out, the way
22 described above doesn't scale.
23
24 Possibly relevant article would be
25 <http://www.site-reliability-engineering.info/2014/04/what-is-site-reliability-engineering.html>
26
27 >> The number of bugs is the same. It's more difficult to hack into 1996 system
28 >> than in 2012.
29
30 Do you have any evidence to back that claim? There are tons of known
31 vulnerabilities in '96-era software, and automated exploits for them.
32
33 By the way, I can see a point in your thread. Our updates and package
34 manager could be improved. They have improved greatly in the last few
35 years. I think I can safely say we welcome further contributions of
36 patches, packaging and testing effort, especially helping automate many
37 of these tasks.
38
39 Paweł