From: Christel Dahlskjaer <christel@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: council@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] A Small Clarification
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 23:11:30
1 An erroneous idea seems generally to prevail, and has lately found
2 expression on the mailing lists, that I have some sort of personal
3 problem with the GWN authors; that is, that I think them unsuitable for
4 the job and would like them removed. This idea cannot be too explicitly
5 contradicted.
6
7 I would like to assure people that, quite to the contrary, I have no
8 issue with Ulrich; I have merely observed that he frequently seems
9 unable to respond to emails, and I believe that given the nature of the
10 GWN this is a potential problem for someone in his position as editor.
11 The points raised in my email I still stand by, though I do not hold
12 these to be the fault of any individual person. My intention was not,
13 and has never been, to have Ulrich removed from the team; it is better
14 viewed as an unconventional way of trying to stimulate other
15 contributors to the GWN and help resolve some of its staffing issues,
16 since the more normal methods seem thus far to have failed. It should
17 also be noted that while I stand by points noted in my initial email, I
18 do so purely as myself, and that they do in no way reflect the opinions
19 of any projects of which I may be a part.
20
21 I would also like to thank Danny van Dyk (Kugelfang) and Tobias
22 Scherbaum (dertobi123) for taking the time and effort to discuss the
23 issues raised and to try to resolve them, and for allowing me to try to
24 help the situation. To those who were upset by my email, I would like
25 to say that this was not my intention, but I do believe that
26 constructive criticism is a positive thing, and I am ever grateful for
27 the opportunity to improve things. It perhaps did not occur to me that
28 it would be taken as a personal affront.
29
30 It has also been mentioned that perhaps the Council was not the best
31 way to bring this up. I can see how this may be the case, but at the
32 time I was unsure of the proper way to go about these things, and a
33 mail to the Council and gentoo-dev was the best suggestion I received
34 when asking people with more experience than myself.
35
36 I hope this clears up some of the confusion,
37 Christel.