From: Thomas Beaudry <tmbeaudry@×××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Automatic menus?
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 20:05:51
1 Maybe I could have phrased that a little better. The message
2 I was replying to talked about not wanting it in Gentoo because
3 he dislikes it and always shuts it off in Mandrake.
4
5 I was just saying that that is selfish, to deny others a feature
6 just so he doesn't have to be bothered with a few minutes time
7 to get rid of it.
8
9 In otherwords, I was responding in the context he created.
10
11 Of course if a menu ebuild is implemented, it would be an op-in
12 just like every other ebuild under Gentoo. I didn't think it
13 was necessary to point out the obvious. Guess I was wrong.
16 >From: James Gibson <twistedhammer@××××××××××××.com>
17 >To: gentoo-dev@g.o
18 >Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Automatic menus?
19 >Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 14:15:34 -0700 (PDT)
20 >
21 >I normally don't get involved in 'discussions' like this, but I will this
22 >time. I, personally, have no opinion on the menus issue, but I would like
23 >to address your comment about conviences..
24 >
25 >I believe that a large number of people don't object so much to new
26 >features that 'go against their view', as they do to _having to turn them
27 >off!!_ You want menus? By all means, implement it, but don't make me have
28 >to turn it off if I don't like it; Make it so that if I don't like it, I
29 >just don't enable it.
30 >
31 >adding new conviences that are on by default is exactly like opt-out spam;
32 >Just say No!!
33 >
34 >--James
35 >