From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Repo mirror & CI project news: 'stable' gentoo branch, new repo stats, faster CI
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2016 20:23:22
1 On 06/05/2016 02:05 PM, james wrote:
2 > On 06/05/2016 12:15 PM, Daniel Campbell (zlg) wrote:
4 >> Hash: SHA512
5 >>
6 >> On June 5, 2016 9:04:26 AM PDT, "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
7 >>> Hello, everyone.
8 >>>
9 >>> I have the pleasure to announce that a few improvements have been
10 >>> deployed by the Repository mirror & CI project today.
11 >>>
12 >>>
13 >>> 1. The mirror for 'gentoo' repository [1] now has a default 'stable'
14 >>> branch. It is updated automatically by the gentoo-ci checker,
15 >>> and therefore always contains the latest repository state that has been
16 >>> confirmed 'green' by CI. While this is far from perfect, it's the first
17 >>> step towards preventing major issues from being deployed on our users.
18 >>>
19 >>> If you are already using the mirror, you will need to either switch
20 >>> branch manually, or re-add it.
21 >>>
22 >>>
23 >>> 2. The repository QA report [2] has been extended with some repository
24 >>> statistics. In particular, the timestamp of the newest commit
25 >>> and the number of valid (that is, those not dying in global scope)
26 >>> ebuilds are reported. Additionally, the homepage link is now included
27 >>> as well.
28 >>>
29 >>> This enables the Overlays team members to easily check which
30 >>> repositories
31 >>> are unmaintained and/or empty, and handle the issues more efficiently.
32 >>> It can also be useful to users who want to figure out whether there's
33 >>> a point in using a particular repository.
34 >>>
35 >>>
36 >>> 3. I've tried to optimize the logic used to run QA checks on
37 >>> repositories, and I think I was able to even the load better.
38 >>> Additionally, I've repacked the git repositories to get rid of huge
39 >>> number of loose objects.
40 >>>
41 >>> As a result, CI now runs faster. The gentoo-ci runs are down from 10-12
42 >>> minutes to 7-8 minutes, and pull requests from 16-18 minutes to 9-14
43 >>> minutes. However, I don't have exact results yet as the server is still
44 >>> busy removing old files ;-).
45 >>>
46 >>>
47 >>> 4. Finally, the mirroring code has been updated to correctly handle git
48 >>> repositories for which 'master' is not the default branch.
49 >>>
50 >>>
51 >>> Enjoy!
52 >>>
53 >>>
54 >>> [1]:https://github.com/gentoo-mirror/gentoo
55 >>> [2]:https://qa-reports.gentoo.org/output/repos/
56 >>
57 >> Sounds like a big improvement. I'm not too familiar with CI, so
58 >> forgive me if this is obvious: should overlays now use the 'stable'
59 >> branch as their primary remote, so they can ensure that any breakage
60 >> introduced is caused by their own overlay instead of a flub by us? If
61 >> so, then I wonder if this will help indirectly improve overlay quality.
62 >>
63 >> Being able to say "as of X commit, the tree is in good shape" is a big
64 >> deal imo. Thanks for working to make that happen. Is there anything
65 >> other devs can do to assist your development, or do we stick to the
66 >> usual 'if in doubt talk to QA'?
67 >> - --
68 >> Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
71 > Well, my question is very basic. In the past, I've used euscan, the site
72 > on gentooexperimental.org, or app-portage/euscan the software to
73 > determine freshness of a package, for a variety of reasons. Is euscan
74 > going to be tied-in or at least coordinated with CI for consistency?
77 > James
82 No clue. I believe patrick maintains that, so he'd be the guy to ask
83 about that.
86 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
87 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
88 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6