From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: What do you think about removing gtk-1.2 theme engines from tree?
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 18:00:39
1 On Mon, 2007-02-26 at 10:43 -0500, Daniel Gryniewicz wrote:
2 > On Sun, 2007-02-25 at 21:31 -0600, Ryan Hill wrote:
3 > > Andrej Kacian wrote:
4 > > > It makes sense slowly removing *applications* depending on gtk1. Themes should
5 > > > go last, along with gtk1 itself.
6 > > >
7 > > > Gtk1 is already ugly enough, do you want it to be even more ugly?
8 > >
9 > > Point, set, and match.
12 > Much as I hate gtk1, I agree with this. Leave the themes as long as
13 > they're working and there's apps.
14
15 I'm just curious, but why? It's not like people can't get GTK+ themes
16 themselves quite easily. Personally, I don't think we should have
17 themes (for anything) in the tree except for two cases:
18
19 #1. The theme is considered part of an upstream package set, fex. if
20 GNOME or KDE ship with a small set of themes, they should be included
21 #2. The themes are made by Gentoo
22
23 For anything else, let the user download what they want and use it as
24 they see fit. There's not much reason to track them in the package
25 manager. That being said, I'm not opposed to the themes staying in the
26 tree, either. I'm just trying to find out people's motivations for
27 either keeping them/removing them.
30 Chris Gianelloni
31 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
32 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
33 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
34 Gentoo Foundation