From: R Hill <dirtyepic.sk@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Unified nVidia Driver Ebuild ready for testing
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 10:03:58
1 Peter wrote:
2 > To Gentoo nVidia users:
3 >
4 > We are in the process of developing and testing
5 > a unified nVidia driver ebuild. When implemented,
6 > it will replace the nvidia-kernel, nvidia-glx, and
7 > nvidia-settings ebuilds. It will also add the utility
8 > nvidia-xconfig.
9
10 Well I just wanted to say thanks for doing this. It doesn't make sense to have
11 two different ebuilds (kernel & glx) for one package. kernel & glx are
12 essentially tied together by version anyways. nvidia-settings might be
13 arguable, as it's not too very small (~1MiB) and not necessary for basic usage
14 of the driver.
15
16 >From a new-driver-version perspective it makes sense, if not from the
17 new-kernel-version perspective. But really, you're talking about a few extra
18 seconds to merge the glx portion (which doesn't need compiling), and it saves
19 you from unpacking the ~11MiB driver file twice.
22 --de.
25 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list