From: "Kevin F. Quinn (Gentoo)" <kevquinn@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Putting all log related packages into it's own category (sys-logging)
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 19:27:23
1 On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 14:13:46 +0100
2 Bjarke Istrup Pedersen <gurligebis@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > I was thinking, how about putting all log related packages into their
5 > own category?
6
7 Personally I think unless there is a real problem that needs to be
8 resolved, moving packages around should be avoided. We've been over
9 the problems of the concept of categories many times, I don't see any
10 value in going through it in depth again as categories are too deeply
11 embedded to be changed. Suffice to say that any package is likely to
12 have several reasonable categorisations, however the tree only supports
13 one. Different people will prefer different categorisations according
14 to each person's perspective, so moving packages to suit one perspective
15 just messes things up for another perspective.
16
17 > Maybe creating a logging herd would be an idea to, to remove the load
18 > from the base-system herd.
19
20 Creating a herd is not a problem; obviously herds and categories are
21 completely different things. However a quick scan of the
22 logging-related packages in sys-admin shows they mostly do not belong
23 to a herd, so are not imposing any load on the base-system herd as such.
24 Creation of a herd for these packages would be a question for the
25 maintainers of those packages :)
28 Kevin F. Quinn