From: Dhruba Bandopadhyay <dhruba@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] System health and portage diagnostics
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 21:54:02
1 Hello
2
3 Currently, portage has no diagnostic capability as such that could scour
4 the essential parts of the system and act on anomalies. Staying on that
5 thought, frequently, when users have problems with portage they are
6 resolved by doing the most trivial tasks a fraction of which are given
7 below.
8
9 ldconfig
10 env-update
11 source /etc/profile
12 revdep-rebuild (from gentoolkit)
13
14 I wish to propose that all tools that are scattered around the various
15 packages intended for diagnosing and maintaining system health be
16 integrated into one and included in portage. These diagnostics can be
17 assigned to a command within portage which would not only execute them but
18 check /etc/make.conf file as well as other essential files for common
19 syntax errors such as line breaks in CFLAGS and so on.
20
21 This proposal is in an attempt to make portage more centralised and self
22 reliant rather than being reliant upon hacks from gentoolkit which remain
23 out dated as portage grows. To me it has always seemed that diagnostic
24 capability rather than read capability is essential to any system
25 administration tool as is already present for other mainstream operating
26 systems and this can go a big way in solving problems before they are
27 filed as bug reports.
28
29 What are your thoughts on the applicability and feasibility of this
30 matter? I look forward to hearing from all.
31
32 With regards
33 Dhruba Bandopadhyay
36 What if the prophecy is true? What if tommorrow the war could end?
37 Isn't that worth fighting for? Isn't that worth dying for?
38 -- Morpheus in 'The Matrix Reloaded' - 23 May 2003
43 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list