From: Louis Sautier <sbraz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Value of Continuous integration vs Code Review / Pull Requests
Date: Wed, 27 May 2020 13:48:02
1 On 27/05/2020 15:22, Guilherme Amadio wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 02:45:29PM +0200, Toralf Förster wrote:
5 >> On 5/27/20 2:16 PM, Thomas Deutschmann wrote:
6 >>> The problem when doing review on Github
7 >>> for me is, that we usually create new revisions. Therefore we don't see
8 >>> what's changed in new revision versus previous revision.
9 >> That's my main concern with the current behaviour: a "git diff" often doesn't show a diff against the previous (ebuild) file, it shows a diff against /dev/null :-/
10 >
11 > Indeed, on GitHub it is hard to review, but locally you can add
12 >
13 > [diff]
14 > algorithm = patience
15 >
16 > to your .gitconfig, and that should help with the diffs even when
17 > the revision changes by moving the file. When copying, it probably
18 > won't help.
19 >
20 > We could also try as a policy to split the revision bump from the
21 > changes, i.e. bump the revision in the first commit, then apply the
22 > changes in a second one. That way, one can click on the right commit
23 > to see the differences only, even on GitHub. Then we can squash when
24 > merging locally, since we don't click merge on GitHub anyway.
25 >
26 > Cheers,
27 > -Guilherme
28 >
29 Hi,
30
31 That looks like it could lead to errors when merging if the committer
32 forgets to squash the two commits.
33
34 Whether it is on GitHub or another platform, it is probably possible to
35 have a bot compute the diff with the previous version every time a
36 commit is pushed to a PR and add that as a comment.