From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] metadata revised - removal of packages
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 18:09:23
1 On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 13:49:55 -0400 Chris Gianelloni
2 <wolf31o2@g.o> wrote:
3 | On Fri, 2005-09-09 at 17:10 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 | > maintained has changed considerably over the past few years. In
5 | > particular, herds are no longer a fallback for when the maintainer
6 | > (single person) is not available.
7 |
8 | Say what? What the hell is the point of a herd, then? And when did
9 | this nonsense happen?
10
11 This is what the original metastructure policy said, which means it
12 happened something like three years ago. The original point of herds
13 was as a fallback rather than as a primary maintainer. This obviously
14 isn't how things are done currently... A GLEP revising the role of
15 herds and adding in maintainer-needed would be useful. I'm not going to
16 be around over the weekend, but if no-one else has written something up
17 by whenever I get back I'll throw a draft together...
20 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Shell tools, Fluxbox, Cron)
21 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
22 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm