From: Jerry A! <jerry@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Bind 8.2.3
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 07:55:09
1 On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 03:22:36PM +0100, Achim Gottinger wrote:
2 : "Jerry A!" wrote:
3 :
4 : > Well, I'm hoping that we can fix it. I'd prefer to pull the insecure
5 : > versions out of the tree. Hate for us to be the distro that ships
6 : > software w/known security holes. 8)
7 :
8 : We are still in a pre-productive phase right now, which should not mean we are
9 : the most insecure distro on
10 : planet earth. :-)
11 : No version of bind 8 compiles on our current system (shame on us but no
12 : security problems with 8 for us).
13 : Is 9.1 really that much insecure? I took a look at the isc homepage and did not
14 : find any security warnings for 9.1
15 : but for 8.2.
16 : I will take a closer look at bind 8.2.3 now. But I have already spend some
17 : hours on it without succes during
18 : the glibc-2.2 move.
19
20 I'm sorry, I didn't make myself clear. 9.1 is secure, that's why I put
21 it in the tree. However, looking at net-misc/bind, all the insecure
22 versions are still there. I would like to move them to the Attic on the
23 CVS tree.
24
25 Now, I know that some people still have a preference for bind8 which is
26 why I was hoping that we could have a secure version of bind8 in the
27 tree as well.
28
29 Achim, if it doesn't work, it doesn't work. I just wanted a second
30 opinion and to make sure that it wasn't just me having problems with
31 bind8.
32
33 --Jerry
34
35 name: Jerry Alexandratos || Open-Source software isn't a
36 phone: 703.599.6023 || matter of life or death...
37 email: jerry@×××××××.org || ...It's much more important
38 || than that!