From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: Corey Crawford <ccrawford@×××××××.net>, Gentoo Developers <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] vpopmail's emerge directory structure
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 23:11:54
1 On Fri, Oct 31, 2003 at 04:00:50PM -0700, Corey Crawford wrote:
2 > Afternoon everyone,
3 >
4 > Can someone explain to me the reasoning behind putting vpopmail's tcp.smtp
5 > file in /etc?
6 >
7 > Since my vpopmail runs as user 'vpopmail' it doesn't have access to write in
8 > /etc which causes problems when trying to update this file. Is there some
9 > reason we no longer want it in /var/vpopmail/etc (where was not too long
10 > ago)?
11 The file doesn't belong to vpopmail exclusively. It really belongs to
12 qmail, and vpopmail wants to add and remove items from it for it's
13 misguiding implementation of relaying.
14
15 Qmail looks at /etc/tcp.smtp via tcpserver, which only allows a single
16 file to be specified, so there is also a tcp.smtp is in
17 /var/vpopmail/etc, then qmail NEVER looks at it, as it really needs
18 /etc/tcp.smtp.
19
20 A much better overall solution is to use the relay-ctrl package (see my
21 notes in the latest qmail conf-smtpd and courier-imap stuff about it).
22
23 > Also, anyone know of a way to have emerge ignore my mysql USE flag when
24 > emerging vpopmail? :)
25 USE="-mysql" emerge vpopmail
26
27 But vpopmail is much more useful with mysql or some form of
28 non-flat database.
31 Robin Hugh Johnson
32 E-Mail : robbat2@××××××××××××××.net
33 Home Page : http://www.orbis-terrarum.net/?l=people.robbat2
34 ICQ# : 30269588 or 41961639
35 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85