From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo-Status
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 00:17:18
1 Kevin F. Quinn wrote:
2 > On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 18:56:11 -0400
3 > Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> [...] So below we have 3 large far-reaching projects.
6 >>
7 >> Gentoo Quality Assurance Team
8 >> Gentoo Infrastructure Team
9 >> Gentoo Portage Team
10 >> Gentoo Foundation
11 >> Gentoo Council
12 >>
13 >> All 5 of these projects are active
14 >
15 > it's growing ;)
16
17 Doh, I wrote the e-mail and then added 2 projects ;p
18 >
19 >> [...]
20 >> I request that these teams present status reports bi-weekly (thats one
21 >> every two weeks).
22 >
23 > I'm not aware of the issue that sparked this, but if regular reports are
24 > a solution, I suggest that rather than mandating a bi-weekly report,
25 > each of the relevant projects should propose a reporting schedule that
26 > is appropriate to them.
27 >
28 > For example, the Council meets once a month, so a bi-weekly status
29 > update seems inappropriate (half the reports are likely to be empty,
30 > the other half a copy of the meeting minutes which we already get).
31 > Perhaps the Foundation would be happier with a regular three- or
32 > six-month update, with the occasional ad-hoc update as need arises.
33 > Whatever, the point is that each project knows best how often it
34 > ought to communicate stuff.
37 The bi-weekly thing was just something I arbitrarily chose, and I agree
38 that it could be different per project.
39
40 However I myself don't mind empty reports. If there is nothing to
41 report, then there is nothing to report *shrugs*. For projects like
42 council and foundation, that is to be expected more often than not.
43
44 However if there is a pending issue I'd rather see "we are still waiting
45 on the lawyers" or "the guy who was supposed to setup the server got an
46 internship" or "there was a portage release last week so I've been
47 fixing bugs for two weeks instead of working on thing X".
48
49 It's a status report, it doesn't have to be lively, the point is to keep
50 developers and users informed of what is going on in these projects.
53 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list