From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] first council meeting
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 22:47:54
1 On Saturday 17 September 2005 05:59 pm, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > On Saturday 17 September 2005 05:28 am, Kevin F. Quinn wrote:
4 > >>How about if the maintainer wants wider testing, i.e. wants to move
5 > >>it out of package.mask and into ~arch but isn't confident it's ready
6 > >>yet for arch, adding a string variable to ebuilds indicating why the
7 > >>maintainer considers the package unstable, eg:
8 > >
9 > > i really want to get away from the idea of 'package.mask is for testing
10 > > packages' ... its current dual role as both masking 'testing' packages
11 > > and 'broken' packages is wrong imo
12 > >
13 > > we dont want to try reeducating our users to not be afraid of
14 > > package.mask because a lot of things in there they *should* be afraid of
15 > > -mike
16 >
17 > Why not merely add an overlay to the main tree and put the testing
18 > packages in the overlay. Then instruct users to add the overlay to
19 > their portage settings. Testing overlay for testing, p.mask for broken
20 > packages.
21
22 that does sound like a pretty quick and clean solution ... the only problem i
23 would have with it is that when we move from testing to normal portage tree,
24 we lose cvs history ... and we'd have to merge ChangeLogs ...
25 -mike
26 --
27 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list