From: Matthias Maier <tamiko@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Clang toolchain [Was: status of bugs blocking gcc-4.8.3]
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 17:24:01
1 Am 27. Oct 2014, 11:14 schrieb Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>:
2
3 > By the way, any help for maintaining the libc++ stack is very welcome;
4 > as you can see from the age of the current snapshots, it's been some
5 > time I've not been playing with it.
8 > Some notes:
9 > - why not adding a clang subprofile ? there's one for amd64-fbsd; I had
10 > been able to build a complete stage 3 without too much trouble.
11 > There's probably nothing bsd specific there, so moving
12 > generic code from there to profiles/features should work.
13
14 Yes, it looks fairly generic. This is definitely worth a try.
15
16 > - it'd be worth fixing/improving libunwind support, esp. as you write
17 > here on the clang 'spec' parts; I don't remember if there were other
18 > issues, but it was a bit pointless if we can't get rid of libgcc_s
19 > because of clang (maybe there were even symbol collisions?)
20 > - libcxxabi is probably the new way to go instead of libcxxrt; last
21 > time I checked there was a chicken and egg problem: libcxxabi needed
22 > clang + libc++ to build, so bootstrapping the stack was a bit
23 > painful.
24
25 The Toolchain behavior on GNU/Linux is fairly tailored to using gcc at
26 the moment (just grep for gcc_ on
27 tools/clang/lib/Driver/{Tools|Toolchain}.cpp).
28
29 In order to really pull off a clang/libc++ toolchain independent of gcc
30 assistance would involve quite a bunch of (preferably upstream) work...
31
32 > - there are a few todos in libcxx ebuild (mainly libsupc++ support, but
33 > the same could apply to libcxxabi)
34 > - it'd be interesting to have stand-alone ebuilds for gcc's crt files;
35 > or better, find BSD-like alternatives
36 >
37 > Alexis.
38
39 Best,