From: Eric Brown <ebrown@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-dev] init script guidelines
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 19:38:05
1 Not everyone can patch them, more people would be capable of writing
2 half-baked hacks that resolve most of the issues.
3
4 Anyway I guess the new baselayout sounds promising here.
5
6 > My point is that Snort and Apache are not alone in this, so I suppose
7 > quite a few upstream developers just disagree with us on what proper
8 > initialization means. Why should our users suffer?
9
10 They shouldn't, but that doesn't mean implementing some half-baked hack
11 to resolve the situation. It might be better to instead patch the
12 daemon in question and send the patches upstream. Upstream developers
13 (usually) are much more willing to make changes when you've done the
14 work for them... ;]
19 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list