From: drobbins@g.o
To: Justin Vander Ziel <zielot@××××××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Bug report, Portage question, No sources included
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 22:21:31
1 On Sun, Jan 07, 2001 at 07:51:58PM -0600, Justin Vander Ziel wrote:
2
3 > After having read through some comparisons of the various software management
4 > options here http://kitenet.net/~joey/pkg-comp/ , here
5 > http://vip.hpnc.com/~cbbrowne/linuxsysconfig.html and finally in the
6 > freshmeat article I feel like I have at least a general idea of where Portage
7 > is going. I have a couple of questions I am hoping someone in this list would
8 > answer for me * I have a slow dialup connection and I often download the
9 > software I need at work where I have a T1 and either carry it home on a
10 > Syquest 200Mb cartridge or burn a CD for myself there (which is how I got
11 > Gentoo in the first place). I'm not sure I am ever going to want to rsync my
12 > distro because I don't see a way of determining how long it's going to take
13 > without running an audit of my system. Any suggestions? * What is the
14 > difference between Portage and e-build? Where does one begin and the other
15 > start? I'm familiar with Daniel's article that was posted on IBM about the
16 > e-build system (http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/bash3.html) *
17 > Perhaps I'm thinking in Microsoft mode here. My question is, is there an
18 > uninstall script ready now for ebuild? The autofs included with rc3 seems to
19 > be missing the pars_sun.so library file so I wanted to uninstall it and
20 > install the later version from the source code. I could list the files from
21 > the tbz2 file and do it by hand or I've even considered writing a script to
22 > do it for me but this seems to be a logical piece of the puzzle that is
23 > missing. (is that why this is called a beta release? B )
24
25 We do have a package uninstaller. To use it, type:
26
27 # portage-unmerge net-misc/pkg-1.2.3-r5
28
29 You can also do this by typing:
30
31 # ebuild /path/to/version/exactly/matching/the/one/installed/foo.ebuild unmerge
32
33 Since we back up all installed ebuilds in /var/db/pkg, this will always work too:
34
35 # ebuild /var/db/pkg/net-misc/pkg-1.2.3-r5/pkg-1.2.3-r5.ebuild unmerge
36
37 As far as doing rsyncs, what I'd do is this. Bring your Syquest to work, and
38 download the sources using rsync. Then bring the Syquest home and rsync from
39 the Syquest to /usr/portage. Then, continue to keep the Syquest up-to-date
40 by using rsync. Let me know if you have any questions about how to do this.
41
42 Best Regards,
45 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
46 President/CEO http://www.gentoo.org