From: Francesco Riosa <francesco@×××××××××.it>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] USE & KEYWORDS relation
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 18:42:20
1 Colin Kingsley ha scritto:
2
3 >Why not just make a new iptables package with no "extensions" IUSE,
4 >and then make a rev-bump when the new patches are available?
5 >
6 >True some users will lose functionality, but if the package simply
7 >does not have that functionality, the Gentoo package maintainer is not
8 >at fault. Users who insist on the extra functionality can mask the new
9 >version untill patches are released and a rev-bump made.
10 >
11 >Colin
14 I will bring some examples on this package but they can be applyed to
15 others too.
16 Bob is a sys-admin.
17 Bob manage a firewall happily up and running with gentoo, Bob use
18 iptables emerged with USE="extensions" because he want and use l7 to let
19 users only web browsing on port 80.
20 Bob is a good admin so he updates very often his firewall probably with
21 "emerge -uDav --newuse world", the day that iptables-1.3 comes out
22 *without* l7 support he is running that update, ... but Jenny the nicest
23 girl of the whole office maybe of the planet is finally asking him to
24 have a coffe with she.
25 Bob has sucessfully done that emerge so many times that he decided to
26 not loose that opportunity and so tadaaa the screen will left alone and
27 all messages outputted from ebuilds ignored.
28 We can bet that Bob will not be happy after finished to have the coffe.
32 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list