From: Bryan Oestergaard <kloeri@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ekeyword and ordering
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 09:05:16
1 On Sat, Jun 11, 2005 at 10:15:22AM +0200, foser wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2005-06-10 at 12:33 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > you'd
4 > > know that scattered KEYWORDS is a pita to deal with ... i've seen cases where
5 > > a specific arch was duplicated in KEYWORDS; once near the beginning and once
6 > > near the end ... normally it wasnt anything bad, but there was a case where
7 > > one KEYWORD was stable while the other was unstable
8 >
9 > Again something I'd only expect to happen in cases where someone is
10 > reordering keywords at will inside a package.
11 >
12 > A certain amount of uncertainty in order actually might prove to be
13 > effective in having everyone who deals with keywords actually really
14 > check all keywords and not depend on assumptions, which both 'error'
15 > cases you mention seem to be caused by.
16 >
17 Sorry foser but there's just no way that making it *harder* to find
18 keywords in ebuilds is going to cause less mistakes. Alphabetical
19 keyword ordering is a big help for arch maintainers and as such has my
20 full support.
21
22 And in those cases where I'm in doubt whether the package maintainer
23 thinks some version is stable I'd rather ask the maintainer than rely on
24 some arbitrary keyword ordering which doesn't mean much anyway as
25 maintainers change archs all the time.
26
27 Regards,
28 Bryan Østergaard
31 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list