From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] portage again :)
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 13:32:48
1 On Thu, Jun 21, 2001 at 04:07:16PM +0200, Mathijs Kwik (-=TRoXX=-) wrote:
2
3 > I'm playing with the $ROOT-variable to create some script that builds a
4 > build-environment... ofcourse everything has to be built statically in the
5 > first phase, so I need USE-flags "build static" I guess... I encounter some
6 > strange behaviour of portage every now and then, can you explain me if $ROOT
7 > is water-proof at the moment? I mean does portage use $ROOT/var/db and
8 > $ROOT/env/make.conf and stuff? I noticed it sometimes does... but sometimes I
9 > really doubt. for example... when I make portage install portage it first
10 > builds zlib, and then glibc... which is strange, since zlib also depends on
11 > glibc... I didn't test it in a non $ROOT environment, but I suspect that
12 > portage doesn't check dependancies in $ROOT/var/db or multi-level
13 > dependancies have some small bugs (dependancies of dependancies). any hints?
14
15 The first thing I'd do is check with achim to see how he builds the build
16 environments, and use his procedure. ${ROOT}/var/db is supported; ${ROOT}/etc
17 is only partially supported. The only thing it reads from ${ROOT}/etc is
18 ${ROOT}/etc/make.profile/virtuals to do virtual package resolution. Everything
19 else comes from /etc, not ${ROOT}/etc.
20
21 I had a version of Portage that would use ${ROOT}/etc for all its settings, but
22 achim and I decided that it was unnecessary (I can't remember the reason; you
23 may want to check with him to see if he remembers why we didn't go with a fully
24 relocatable /etc.) I think it may be that USE variables really can't be changed
25 mid-stream, since other packages may have been previously built with these deps,
26 but I'm probably wrong.
27
28 Best Regards,
31 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>