From: Gert Menke <gert@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo observations
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 03:42:48
1 Hi,
2
3 On Sat, Mar 09, 2002 at 09:11:35PM -0600, mrfab@×××.net wrote:
4 > First, where the hell is vi? It is missing from
5 > both the boot image and the base install. I
6 > realize that I can emerge it, but having to use
7 > an editor as horrible as nano, even just for the
8 > initial config, was a bit obnoxious.
9 I could not agree more.
10
11 > Another file system decision that seems
12 > off to me is the choice of /uar/local/httpd for the
13 > default documentroot instead of /var/www or
14 > something like /home/http.
15 I'd prefer /var/www or /var/apache.
16 /usr and /usr/local should at least be possible to mount read-only.
17 Usually you don't want your apache stuff on a ro partition.
18 /home/httpd just seems wrong to me, but I cannot excactly say why. Somehow
19 I feel that everyone that owns files on my /home partition should be a
20 "real" user (i.e. Humanoid)... ;-)
21
22 > Speaking of apache, it would be better to use
23 > something other than nobody:nobody by default.
24 Yes; I got used to root:www.
25
26 > I've noticed that a few distros (Redhat in
27 > particlular comes to mind) have modified useradd
28 > to create a personal group for a given user.
29 I don't like modified versions of standard tools. I'd rather have a script
30 that does the job for me, and has a different name (i.e. addusrgrp).
31
32 Just my 0.02€.
33
34 Greetings