From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Policy for late/slow stabilizations
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2010 15:07:06
1 Hi
2
3 As many of you have already noticed, there are some arches that are quite
4 slow on stabilizations. This leads to deprecated stabilizations e.g a
5 package is stabilized after 60 days which makes that version of
6 the specific package obsolete and not worth to stabilize anymore.
7
8 I would suggest to introduce a new rule where a stabilization bug may close
9 after 30 days. Arches that fail to stabilize it within this timeframe
10 they will simply don't have this package stable for them.
11
12 Moreover, slow arches introduce another problem as well. If a package is
13 marked stabled for their arch, but this package is quite old, and they fail to
14 stabilize a new version, we ( as maintainers ) can't drop the very old
15 ( and obsolete ) version of this package because we somehow will break
16 the stable tree for these arches. How should we act in this case?
17 Keep the old version around forever just to say that "hey, they do have
18 a stable version for our exotic arch".
19
20 Whilst I do understand that these arches are understaffed and they can't keep
21 up with the increased stabilization load like x86/amd64 do, I still
22 think that slow stabilization leads to an obsolete stable tree which I
23 doesn't make sense to me after all.
24
25 Thoughts?
28 Markos Chandras (hwoarang)