From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: Gentoo Developers <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 22: New "keyword" system to incorporate various userlands/kernels/archs
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 04:26:14
1 On Tuesday 09 March 2004 12:57, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 12:47:26PM +0900, Jason Stubbs wrote:
3 > > Now for ARCH, a recent (official?) policy states that no ARCH-specific
4 > > patches should be applied to source code. If a patch needs to be applied,
5 > > it should work on all ARCHs. To this end, I can't see why ARCH-specific
6 > > keywords need to exist at all. This leaves:
7 >
8 > Not having separate patches for each arch is fine by me, but you see to
9 > ignore the fact that some packages just won't work on some hardware.
10 > Eg 'mol' won't run on a non-ppc system, and ARM and HPPA don't have any
11 > Java support presently (nothing exists upstream for them).
12 > For any packages like these (there are plenty of them),
13 > hardware-dependant keywords are required.
14
15 This is a valid point where my idea breaks down. Hmm... I still feel that it
16 is unconstructive to assume that everything doesn't work unless explicitly
17 stated.
18
19 The ARM/HPPA not supporting Java isn't too hard. Simply mask the JREs and JDKs
20 on those platforms. The 'mol' one is a little more difficult. Perhaps masking
21 it using /profiles/package.mask and then unmasking
22 using /profiles/default-ppc/package.unmask?
23
24 Regards,
25 Jason Stubbs
28 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list