From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dealing with XDG directories in ebuild environment
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2014 20:49:53
1 On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 12:43:37 -0800
2 Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
3 > I don't buy that. The behavior appears to be currently undefined.
4 > Changing it to different undefined behavior is allowed.
5
6 The point of undefined behaviour is that anything that is relying upon
7 undefined behaviour doing a particular thing is broken. PMS doesn't
8 define what happens to XDG_*, so if your ebuilds need a particular
9 thing done for it then they must be fixed.
10
11 Perhaps PMS should be more explicit in stating this -- we lifted the
12 concept of undefined behaviour from the C and C++ standards, and just
13 assumed that people would know what it meant. Maybe we need a bit more
14 text to clear up the misconception we see every now and again that
15 "undefined" somehow means "it's ok to assume what some version of
16 Portage happens to do, since the specification doesn't say you can't
17 do that"...
20 Ciaran McCreesh