From: Thomas de Grenier de Latour <degrenier@×××××××××××.fr>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] USE Flags
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 22:22:25
1 On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 22:01:18 +0100
2 Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > I'll add some nice tag to support this.
5
6 I'm sorry to insist, but is there something wrong with using
7 use.local.desc, as i've proposed in bug #84884? I don't understand
8 the rational for choosing metadata.xml. In my opinion, it makes
9 this detailed description less likely to be written (more
10 complex syntax, whereas the one of .desc file is already
11 well-known), and less likely to be read (lack of user tools
12 whereas there are plently for use.local.desc, which would need at
13 most small trivial changes, if any).
14
15 Also, take the following scenario:
16
17 - use.local.desc has:
18 "cat/pkgA:foo - adds support for libfoo as a replacement of \
19 libbar. Do not enable it but if you really know what you do."
20
21 - then comes cat/pkgB, which also support libfoo:
22 "cat/pkgB:foo - adds support for libfoo, for playing .foo files"
23
24 - And more packages start supporting libfoo, thus "foo" becomes
25 a global flag:
26 "foo - adds support for libfoo"
27 With the "metadata.xml" approach, that will require moving the
28 existing descriptions from use.local.desc to the various xml
29 files. At the contrary, with the "keep it in use.local.desc"
30 approach, no additional work is required...
33 So could someone explain me that choice?
34
35 Thanks,
38 TGL.
39 --